Icelandic composer Hugi Guðmundsson and I were commissioned by the Reykjavik Center for Visual Music to collaborate on this audiovisual composition. The work premiered at the opening concert of the RCVM - Punto y Raya Festival, January 30th, 2014, at the Harpa Concert Hall, Reykjavík. The pianist was Tinna Thorsteinsdottir.
Guðmundsson composed the three-movement music — for realtime computer processing of piano — based on initial visual sketches we worked out together a two-day session in July, 2013. The starting point for the work was an agreement to seek a "spacious, elegant simplicity" in the materials and their development. Compared to my fixed-media work to-date, there is more focus here on setting processes in motion and patiently allowing them to unfold.
This was the first time I have created only the visuals for an audiovisual work. The commission also marks a return for me to performing live. I converted my Brownian Doughnut Warper filter to Open Frameworks for realtime performance and created mechanisms in Max that allowed me to control the system using a 32-channel motorized, touch-sensitive fader board. In this way, the pianist, Guðmundsson (running the sound processing) and I could interact fluidly and spontaneously as chamber music performers.
The work entailed converting elements of my Brownian Doughnut Warper filter into Open Frameworks and optimizing for realitme performance. Max/MSP controls the Open Frameworks application through Open Sound Control. The 32-channel fader board was custom made for De Montfort University's Music, Technology and Innovation Research Centre by glui.de.
- Jul, 2019 - Animator Festival, Poznan, Poland
- Feb, 2015 - De Montfort University, Leicester, UK [Philip Mead, piano]
- Jan, 2014 - Reykjavik Center for Visual Music - Punto y Raya Festival, Harpa Concert Hall, Iceland [premiere]
[Tinna Thorsteinsdottir, piano]
- Screenings (fixed media)
- Nov, 2016 – Greenwich Sound/Image Colloquium, University of Greenwich, UK
- Apr, 2016 – Seeing Sound Symposium, Bath Spa University, UK
- Touring Shows (fixed media)
- Synchresis V
- Nov, 2015 – Facultad de Bellas Artes de la Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- Nov, 2015 – Real Conservatorio Superior de Música 'Victoria Eugenia' de Granada Granada, Spain
- Nov, 2015 – Conservatorio Superior de Música de Canarias. Punto de Encuentro Canarias, Spain
- Nov, 2015 – Medialab-Prado, Madrid, Spain