Estuaries 2 is the second of my “Estuaries” audio-visual series, which can be viewed as a series of standalone works or ultimately as one large, multi-movement work.
Randomly dispersed, spinning forms dialog with grid-based logic to create continual flow and rapid transformations.
The “Estuaries” series involves visualizing Nelder-Mead optimization, a process used by mathematicians to find solutions to complex, multi-variable problems that cannot be addressed by solving equations. We see the results of many such routines searching for the brightest points in a source image. The music was created with my Nodewebba software, which interlinks pattern generators to create complex emergent behaviours.
I created the visual material with a custom plug-in for Apple’s Motion 5 video effects software, working in 4k resolution. The connection between the sound and the image was created almost entirely manually — the relationship is not algorithmic.
Original format: 4k 30 fps Quicktime Lossless, stereo (96kHz, 24 bit)
- Oct, 2018 - Punto y Raya Festival, Wroclaw, Poland
- Jan, 2018 - Madatac 09, Conde Duque Acts Hall, Madrid, Spain
- Dec, 2017 - XXIV Festival Internacional de Música Electroacústica y Arte Sonoro, Grenada, Spain
- Dec, 2017 - MA/IN Festival, Matera, Italy
- Nov, 2017 - Sound-Image Colloquium, University of Greenwich, UK
- Nov, 2017 - Animation Marathon, Athens, Greece
- Oct, 2017 - AFEKT Contemporary Music Festival, Erinevatetubadeklubi, Talin, Estonia
- Oct, 2017 - AFEKT Contemporary Music Festival, Erinevatetubadeklubi, Tartu, Estonia
- Sep, 2017 - LIPA Festival of Contemporary Music, Iowa State University of Science and Technology
- Aug-Sep, 2017 - Atlanterium AV Festival, Atlanta, USA
- Feb, 2017 - Visible Bits Audible Bytes, Phoenix Cinema, Leicester, UK [Premiere]