Estuaries 4 is the last of my “Estuaries” audio-visual series, which can be viewed as a set of standalone works or ultimately as one large, multi-movement work. Estuaries 4 explores contrasts between intense and frenetic textures and a gentler poetics (with the latter expressed in part through visualisation the mathematical Rosenbrock function).
The “Estuaries” series involves visualizing Nelder-Mead optimization, a process used by mathematicians to find solutions to complex, multi-variable problems that cannot be addressed by solving equations. We see the results of many such routines searching for the brightest points in a source image. The music was created with my Nodewebba software, which interlinks pattern generators to create complex emergent behaviours.
I created the visual material with a custom plug-in for Apple’s Motion 5 video effects software, working in 4k resolution. The connection between the sound and the image was created almost entirely manually — the relationship is not algorithmic.
Original format: 4k 30 fps Quicktime Lossless, stereo (48kHz, 24 bit). Also available in 1080p30 formats.
- Best Regional Music (Europe) 2022, International Computer Music Association
- Best Video, MuVi6 Visual Music 2022, Granada, Spain
- Nov, 2022 - Animation Marathon, Athens, Greece [scheduled]
- Oct, 2022 - Paintings in Motion: An Evening of Visual Music, Montana State University, USA
- Sep, 2022 - Convergence Festival, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
- Sep, 2022 - Over the Real International Video Art Festival, Lucca, Italy
- Sep, 2022 - Bowed Electrons Festival, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Jul, 2022 - International Computer Music Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland
- Jun, 2022 - Sound and Music Computing Conference, Saint-Etienne, France
- May, 2022 - NoiseFloor Festival, University of Staffordshire, UK
- Apr, 2022 - The Listening Eye, COMMUTE Festival, Kino Sõprus, Talin, Estonia
- Mar, 2022 - Tempo Reale, Firenze, Italy [streaming]
- Dec, 2021 - Synchresis Festival, Musikene, Donostia-San Sebastian, Spain
- Nov, 2021 - Visible Bits, Audible Bytes, Phoenix Cinema, Leicester, UK [Premiere]